"First I toy, then I destroy!"
During a fight in his secret laboratory some years ago, a Doctor Schimmel was covered in an experimental chemical he had been working with. Batman tried to save him, but the damage had already been done. The freezing chemical had somehow bonded with his body, and he could no longer survive in any temperature higher than fifty degrees below zero. From then on, he referred to himself only as Mister Freeze. His condition requires him to wear a cooling suit whenever he leaves his icy lair. Freeze's warped mind blamed Batman for all that had happened to him, and immediately vowed revenge.
Ever since he escaped from prison, Freeze has been trying to destroy Batman. He also often tries to freeze other people, or sometimes all of Gotham City. Though whether this is because he wants others to suffer as he suffers, or if he is only looking for companionship, is unknown. The mental damage has also caused him to go through extreme changes in his temperament. He almost seems like a different person each time he faces Batman and Robin, sometimes cruel, sometimes goofy, and sometimes almost kindhearted.
Weapons and Equipment
- Cooling suit- Freeze must wear this at all times, unless he is inside one of his sub-zero lairs. It has large tanks of cold air on the back that circulate through the suit, keeping his body below zero.
- Jet-freeze collar- has several jet nozzles placed around it that emit cold air. Freeze wears it to keep his head below zero degrees.
- Freeze gun- sprays a freezing gas that instantly freezes anyone solid. It also leaves them glowing a sickly green. With proper medical attention or handy bat-attire, a person can recover from the freezing process.
- Instant camera- Freeze once used this to photograph pictures of a stolen watch and doctor a picture of Batman to make it appear as if he were the thief.
- Ice cream truck- used to move him and his henchmen throughout the city. The cold interior make it convenient for Freeze to get around.
- Ice magnets- inside his iceberg hideout, they attract other icebergs for camouflage. Can also draw nearby ships and hold them in place.
- Ice periscope- also inside the iceberg, allowed Freeze to see the surroundings.
- Ice ladder- for getting in and out of the iceberg.
- Ice sub- for getting back and forth from his iceberg hideout.
- Two-way radio- lets him communicate with Miss Glaze through her compact.
- Dry ice injector- fills the victim's veins directly with ultra-freezing dry ice.
- Quick freezer- a cold prison that can go down to 200 degrees below zero.
- Sub-zero temperature vaporizing cabinet- slowly freezes anyone who is put inside.
- Thermodynamic ice ray beam- uses Professor Isaacson's instant ice formula, can cause everything in an entire city to freeze over.
- Ice Cream Truck- for getting around the city and staying cold. It says 'Amalgamated Ice Cream Co.' on the side.
- Flamethrower- strange though it may seem, Freeze once used it to melt a skating rink.
Just as Batman and Robin do not go at crime-fighting alone, Gotham City's most notorious villains need fellow partners in crime to assist them with their malicious schemes.
Chill, Shivers, Frosty- henchmen.
Glacia Glaze- also a world famous ice skating star. Her real name is Emma Strunk.
Frosty, Chillblaine- henchmen. It's hard to tell whether or not it is the same Frosty.
Isuldur- Freeze's pet homing seal. Likes a nice fresh fish.
Kolwater- Freeze's personal butler. He did not get involved in any of the criminal activity.
Nippy, Chill, Moe- henchmen. They often sat down with their boss and had a good meal while he watched from his cold area.
To some people villainy is a job; but, unlike the rest of the law-abiding citizens of Gotham City, villains do not work in an office, factory, or from their own homes. They must establish a 'hideout' from which they can organize and orchestrate their evil deeds.
- a seemingly abandoned cold storage plant
- inside an iceberg, below the waterline
- cold room below the Bruce Wayne Ice Arena
From time to time, those nasty villains would resort to insults. What follows are the names used by Mister Freeze.
- Caped Double-crossers
- Caped Crackpots
- Cold Creeps *
- Masked Meddlers
- Vaporized Vanquishers *
* Under special circumstances.
Return to Villain Index