When he first appeared in Gotham City, many of the citizens thought he was a modern day Robin Hood, stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. It quickly became apparent his only interest was stealing and giving to himself.
He dressed in attire from the Medeval age, and yet he spoke with an old English lilt that would be more suitable to the towns and cities of Shakespeare's time than Gotham City. Though he used the words 'thee', 'thou' and 'thy' with great frequency, his overall speech was a butchery of that more delicate and poetic ancient tongue.
The most interesting thing about Archer was the strange mechanism which accompanied him everywhere, a playback device of some kind in which was stored various levels of applause, cheers and laughter. This device was carried around by one of his associates and upon making a decision or performing some villainous act, he would signal for the activation of the box. After a brief moment of playback applause, he would signal again and the device would be shut off.
It seems as if Archer needed immediate approval of his actions. Indeed, on one occassion the device was dropped and broken. Archer was visibly distraught and could not formulate a plan of action. He and his minions quickly retreated. He called the device 'his ego making machine'.
Weapons and Equipment
Like the legendary Robin Hood, Archer was a bowman of the highest calibre. Not only could he shoot the bullseye with every shot, he could consistently hit the same spot, splitting the arrow which perceded it.
Archer rarely used conventional arrows during his crimes. Instead, he carefully crafted an array of specialized arrows which would help him achieve his villainous goals. What follows is a list of the known arrows in Archer's arsenal.
- Sneezing powder arrows (good for causing distractions and temporary incapacitation)
- Knock out gas arrows (upon impact, these arrows release a quick acting knock out gas, the effects of which are temporary and not harmful to the victims' overall health)
- Blinding light arrow (this arrow is equipped with a half dozen flash mechanisms, which upon contact fire in sequence, temporarily blinding the people within its radius)
- Rope Arrow (basically an arrow with a length of strong rope already attached. Used for quickly escaping buildings.)
- Curved exploding arrows (a most ingenius design, these arrows when fired from a required distance will curve around a 90 degree turn, enabling Archer and his men to attack a target unseen. Upon contact, these arrows explode)
Archer and his men are also trained swordsmen, although they could not best the combined efforts of Batman and Robin who defeated the villains and sent them to prison.
Just as Batman and Robin do not go at crime-fighting alone, Gotham City's most notorious villains need fellow partners in crime to assist them with their malicious schemes.
Big John and Mr. Tuck - simple henchmen
Maid Marilyn- The only female member of Archer's gang, Maid Marilyn grew up in the same neighbourhood as Archer. She is quite fond of fried foods and refuses to speak in the English lilt the other members of the gang use. Archer once called her a 'kindergarten dropout", though it is unknown if this was a jibe or the truth.
Allan A. Dale- He was the Administrative Head of Public Relations, overseeing an annual Wayne Foundation charitable event in which $100 is given to 100,000 of Gotham's underprivaleged. Mr. Dale was to alert Archer to the location of the money if Archer cut him in on the deal. They did indeed succeed in stealing the money, but before they could all make their get away to Europe, Batman and Robin put them behind bars.
To some people villainy is a job; but, unlike the rest of the law-abiding citizens of Gotham City, villains do not work in an office, factory, or from their own homes. They must establish a 'hideout' from which they can organize and orchestrate their evil deeds.
- Earl Huntington Archery Range - located in the Green Forest section of Gotham
From time to time, those nasty villains would resort to insults. What follows are the names used by Archer.
Caped Sheriffs of Gotham
Return to Villain Index